TAMPA AREA PROFESSIONAL PHOTOGRAPHERS ASSOCIATION
Salon Competition Procedures & Rules
INSTRUCTIONS FOR ALL ENTRANTS – Please study and follow carefully.
Not doing so will prevent judging of your entry.
ELIGIBILITY: Any member of TAPPA in good standing.
ENTRIES: A total, not to exceed 6 images, may be entered by one photographer per salon judging. Images previously entered in TAPPA Salon Competitions that scored 80 or above may not be entered again. No two images shall be of the same subject.
ENTRY FEE: The entry fee of $15.00 covers one to six entries whether or not you are attending the competition. It may be cash or a check made payable to TAPPA. Please pay that evening. If you are not attending but placing entries, please let Lee Burgess ( ) know a couple of days before the event.
The deadline for all entries is posted on
ENTRY DEADLINES: Entries must be uploaded onto the to:PrintCompetiton.com
FILE NAMING: Will be done automatically. But of course you will need to title your entries
CLASSIFICATION OF ENTRIES: Entries must be designated by the entrant in one of the six (6) categories listed on the entry form. If the chairman feels the entry is placed in an incorrect category, he/she may change the entry’s category. Color and Black and White images will be judged together in all categories.
1. PORTRAIT: This category includes portraits of men, women, children, couples (2 people), groups (3 or more), and environmental portraits.
2. SOCIAL FUNCTION: This category includes weddings or Bar/Bat Mitzvah which includes portraits or candids images from event.
3. COMMERCIAL: This category includes advertising illustration, industrial, architectural, product photography and photojournalism. Live models may be used for these entries.
4. UNCLASSIFIED: This category includes abstracts, pictorials (non-portrait), animals, figure studies and photojournalism.
5. ELECTRONIC IMAGING: This category includes digital restoration, image enhancement. Entries will be judged for digital, artistic and technical proficiency.
6. ALBUMS: This Category includes wedding albums, story book and portrait albums. Albums can be from 1 or more makers.
Send ALBUM ENTRIES ONLY, 24 hours before salon, to: Lee Burgess at
IMAGE PREPARATION: Always SAVE a copy of your competition print file before attempting this!
See tutorials at http://www.ppa.com/competitions/tutorials.php
Files must be sized so the longest dimension is 4,000 pixels (20 inches at 200 ppi). Each file must contain an embedded color profile of either sRGB or Adobe RGB1998 and be saved at a JPEG quality setting of 10. Total file size should not exceed 7 MB.
ALBUM FILE PREPARATION:
1. All page/spread files must have the longest file dimension at 4,000 pixels (20 inches at 200 ppi), have an embed-ded color profile of either sRGB or Adobe RGB1998 and be saved at a JPEG quality setting of 10.
2. Each page/spread file may contain as many images as you desire.
3. An entry may contain up to 36 page/spread files
4. Files are to be numbered in viewing order using two digits (i.e., 01 jpg, 02 jpg, 03 jpg, etc.).
5. All individual files must be compressed into a single ZIP file. ZIP file must be named: LastName_Album_Title (use _for spaces, e.g. Sewell_Summer_Wedding.zip)
6. Studio identification or entrant’s name cannot appear on any file within the album entry.
JUDGING PROCEDURES: Each salon will be judged by a panel of three qualified judges using FPP and PPA guidelines including point scoring procedures. The score of the three judges will be totaled and averaged for the final score. When a judge’s score varies 10 points or more from the average score, it becomes an automatic challenge and the photograph must be discussed and re-scored. A judge may initiate a challenge at any time.
SCORING: Images are scored from 0 to 100 as follows:
100-95 EXCEPTIONAL 79-76 GOOD
94-90 SUPERIOR 75-74 AVERAGE
89-85 EXCELLENT 73-70 FAIR
84-80 VERY GOOD 69-0 UNACCEPTABLE
AWARDS: Ribbons will be awarded for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place in each category. Merit ribbons will be awarded to all prints scoring an 80 or above. A Best of Show ribbon will be awarded to the print judged best by the panel of judges. All entries receiving scores of 78-79 are automatically challenged. During the automatic challenge, judges may lower or raise the score of an image by a 2/3 majority of the panel.